TOURIST OFFICE ....

 PLACE TO VISIT 

HOME PAGE

History

Historycal personages

Typical Dishes

Marquetry

Beaches

Cultural events

Typical products

CATHEDRAL
Walking on the elegant Corso italia until the Largo Arcivescovado, the Duomo (cathedral) opens up, which has beeen rearranged several times during the centuries. In romanic style it dates to the XVth century; the site door is from the same period (1474) and in Renaissance style. In its interior some valuable paintings by artists from the Neapolitan school of the 1700s. An archibishops throne in fine marbles (1573) and a wooden marquetry work of Sorrentine craftsmen of the beginning of the 19th century.

VILLA COMUNALE

Positioned on a sheer drop, it has  a wonderful view of the bay of Naples.  Not far from Tasso square it's located close to the church of San Francesco, with annexed convent and the gracious cloister with interlaced arches of the 14th century.

PORTA PARSANO NUOVA (The old walls)

At present, some remains of the enclosure alls and of two gates (one at the beginning ov Via Parsano and the other close to Marina Grande) are still exisisting.

The Roman Town was built over the Greek one following the same urban plan with walls of large isodomic blocks. These walls stood to defend Sorrento through the Middle Ages. Rebuilding began in 1551 and was only completed in 1561 after the tragic Turkish invasion.